Air fryer buttermilk chicken drizzled with Hot honey (WW Friendly)
Updated: Mar 12, 2021
This chicken sandwich has it all - fried chicken, coleslaw, hot honey, pickles and buffalo sauce. It is truly delicious.
My sister called me on a Saturday morning telling me about this new Nashville Fried Chicken spot that opened in our neighborhood. As we were both trying to be good with our WW journey, we decided we can make a healthy chicken sandwich! This sandwich took an afternoon of taste testing, but we did a dang good job!
What do you need?
3/4 cup of buttermilk
4 boneless chicken breast
1/3 cup of flour
2 eggs beaten
1 cup of frosted flakes cereal crushed
1-2 tbsp. of hot/buffalo sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup of pickle juice
1 tsp of salt + pepper
bread of your choosing
bread and butter pickles
Gallon size zip lock
1/2 cup of honey
2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of buffalo sauce
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/3 cup of Greek yogurt
1/4 cup of water
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. of sugar
1 cup of dole shredded coleslaw mix
2 tbsps. of sweet and sour red cabbage (Aunt Nellies) - Optional, but makes the
1 tsp of salt and pepper
1) Start by making your marinated, add buttermilk, pickle juice, 1 tbsp. of buffalo sauce 1 tsp of paprika and chicken to a Pyrex. Mix well, and let marinate in for at least two hours.
2) While the chicken is marinating it is best to make the coleslaw before too! the longer it sits, the better the flavors blend together. :) Add all the ingredients of the coleslaw shown above, mix well, and put in the fridge.
3) Once your chicken and coleslaw are marinated let's start cooking the chicken deliciousness! Grab a plate and add the flour, a bowl, and add in your beaten egg along with 1 tsp of hot/buffalo sauce.
4) Now it's time to crumble the Frosted Flakes! Add frosted flakes to a gallon size zip lock and crush with your hand, it is easy!
You can leave the crumbles in the zip lock or transfer them onto a plate for easy dipping. Your preference :)
5) Pre-heat the Air fryer for at least 4 minutes on 375. (I love the ninja airfryer, this is my try and trued. This is an affiliate link and I may earn a commission.)
6) Dredge a piece of chicken in the flour, make sure it is fully coated.
7) Place the chicken in the egg mixture then into the frosted flake crumbles. Again, make sure the chicken is fully coated.
8) Spray the bottom of the airfryer with oil and add one piece of chicken at a time. Cook for 5 minutes, spray the top of the chicken and flip and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
9) Let's make the hot honey!!!! This is optional, My sister and I felt like it made the sandwich even that much better, my husband felt like it was better without. You decide and I would love to know what you thought!
Combine all the hot honey ingredients listed above into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for another 30 seconds then remove from heat. It will thicken as it sits for a few minutes.
WW Points - 1 Tablespoon of Hot Honey is 4 BLUE Points
10) Continue the steps until you have finished cooking all the chicken.
11) Assemble Time!! Add chicken to your bread of choice, add a drizzle of hot honey, then add a heaping spoon of coleslaw, bread and butter pickles, one more drizzle of hot honey and, drizzle on the buffalo sauce of your choosing.
WW Friendly: This is a huge Area where you can SAVE your POINTS! I used Member's Mark Ciabatta Bun which was 5 Points.
WW BLUE POINTS:
Chicken is 3 Blue Points
Coleslaw is 0 Blue Points
Bread = Whichever bread you use :)
Hot Honey = 4 Points (if you use one tablespoon)